Monday 27 September 2010

More one layer work

I obviously got bitten by the one layer bug when I made the card for this week's One Layer Wednesday challenge. I needed a card for my brother's birthday and went with another nature-inspired clean and simple design.

I just treated myself to some new stamps including Under the Sea from Darkroom Door. It's my first Darkroom Door purchase but I'm sure it won't be my last! The stamps are wonderfully detailed and the quality is great. There are quite a few places that stock them in the UK too so no hanging around for post to arrive from down under, even though they're an Australian company.

I stamped the seahorse and coloured with Copics then masked it and used Post-It notes to mask off a rectangle and sponged blue inks in there. A teeny weeny birthday sentiment finishes it off and I have a masculine and easy-to-mail card ready to go!

Stamps:
Under the Sea (Darkroom Door)
Sentiment from Kinkade Birthday Expressions (CHF, retired)

Paper:
Smooth white

Ink:
Adirondack dye ink by Ranger (Espresso, Cloudy Blue, Stonewashed, Denim)

Other:
Copic markers


Thanks for stopping by!

27 comments:

Caroline said...

Gorgeous card Joanne, love the colouring and the simplicity of it.

Jackie Elwin said...

it is beautiful, and your colouring of the seahorse is lovely!

Anonymous said...

really like how the blue graduates upwards...just adore it!

G Peplow said...

Hi there, love your card, simple and perfect. Absolutely great for a male card:0) xx

Annie said...

Fabulous I have far more success with this technique than the inkpad (made a real hash of that - pressed too hard - just reread and you did warn us not to - LOL - must pay more attention)
Your seahorse card is totally gorgeous.
Ann xxx

Susan said...

GORGEOUS card! I love that seahorse and the blue rectangle is awesome...it really makes the seahorse pop...and grounds him! Fabulous masculine card!

Anonymous said...

Ditto what Susan said. PERFECT card! Simple but not easy, I'm sure, especially because fussy-cutting masks is a pain in the neck, though I know some people enjoy it.

Carol said...

What an extraordinary card! It is so beautiful! Love the seahorse and your coloring is fab! That blue rectangle behind the seahorse is stunning!

Anonymous said...

Yet another gorgeous design Joanne! I've been eyeing up those new DD stamps too! x

Netty said...

The card is gorgeous and the seahorse is terrific. Great card, x

Karen said...

WOW WOW WOW that seahorse is absolutely beautifully coloured my lovely, gorgeous card X

Kaz said...

That's gorgeous Joanne, I love the detail to the seahorse. It's perfect for a male card xx

Janice said...

Incredible effect, the seahorse just jumps off the page. Stunning.

joanne wardle said...

gorgeous, love it!

Deborah said...

a beautiful card - I'm liking this one layer trend a lot.

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Fabulous one layer creation...wonderful blue graduated wash too.

Sid said...

What a fab seahorse image !! Great card !

Gez Butterworth said...

Wow! Amazing card Joanne. Love the seahorse. Dark Room do look FAB stamps. Enjoy.xx

Traceyr said...

Simple and effective card there Joanne - you don't see many seahourse stamps around do you?

:)

Deborah Frings said...

Really unusual card - love the colours. Really nice card.

Tee said...

Brilliant card..I love the shading of the blue..and its a perfect card for a guy!

Janet a.k.a. swanlady21 said...

This is stunning - Love it as I'm on an island and so have lots of sea stamps. Thanks for the inspiration

Colleen said...

Beautiful job. I love the sponged rectangle behind the seahorse. It really sets if off.
Hugs,
Colleen

Colleen said...

Beautiful job. I love the sponged rectangle behind the seahorse. It really sets if off.
Hugs,
Colleen

A Consuming Passion said...

Your card is beautiful......the graduation in the blue is perfect behind this 'U-Beaut' Aussie Stamp!!!!!! Good to hear DD are available in the UK. Oh and I understand the frustrations of postage very well......

Nancy said...

This is so gorgeous, Joanne!! I have been wanting Darkroom Door stamps and you've tempted me beyond my resistance now, I think! Beautiful.

Vicky said...

Gorgeous colours, & a beautiful design :)