Wednesday 15 September 2010

Life is a journey

We're doing another postcard swap over on UK Stampers. I've decided I like the idea of the "real" postcard ethos of sending something with no envelope so I'm sticking with flat and light with nothing stuck on that might drop off!

My recipient this time is Sam who lives in Evesham so I chose an appropriate chunk from an old road atlas for my central panel. The sentiment is embossed in copper and then swiped over with that staple of the modern craft room, gesso (ah! whatever did we do without this stuff?!) to help it stand out from the busy background. As the paper had a coated finish, the car didn't stamp quite as cleanly as I would have liked so I gave it a bit of help with a black marker in a few places.

Stamps:
Vintage Transport (Tanda Stamps)
Sentiment from Encouragement Expressions (Cornish Heritage Farms, retired)

Paper:
Black
Old road atlas

Ink:
Versafine by Tsukineko (Onyx Black)

Other:
Memento marker (Tuxedo Black)
Detail embossing powder (copper)
Gesso
Nestabilites by spellbinder (Labels Eight)


Hope life's journey is treating you kindly - thanks for stopping by!

16 comments:

cookcreateread said...

Joanne, I really love the way you included a map of where the recipient lives! Lovely stuff :)

Karen said...

This is just superb Joanne...love the map idea! XXX

Kaz said...

That's lovely Joanne, so much thohught for details as usual xx

Anonymous said...

great postcard and nice touch with the map of Sams area.

Heavenly Anarchist said...

Loving this idea, really well worked out.

Effie said...

It's not good when things drop off!....fabby postcard!

Sid said...

Fab postcard !!

Netty said...

Brilliant, the postman is going to enjoy delivering this. x

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Nice bit of touching up! Lol! x

Jean Franks Beck said...

Fabulous postcard, Joanne, and some very clever ideas! I actually bought an old atlas at a flea market (boot sale? don't know the UK term, LOL!) and I haven't had the nerve to cut it up yet. This looks terrific, and such a great idea to personalize the map to the recipient!

Beth said...

Hiya Joanne, how are you my lovely? Loving your card with the vintage car and map on. The map and locations give it reality, simple yet very effective and meaningful. xx

Hazel said...

Love the idea of sending as a postcard, not in an envie. Great idea to gesso over the wording (I seem to be too afraid of gesso - must experiment more with it) x

Sam & Poppy said...

I can't tell you how this postcard touched me when it arrived! That Joanne had taken the time and trouble to use a map of where I live. I can quite honestly say with my hand on my heart that this is the best postcard I've ever received. Thank you very, very much, Sam x

Di said...

A gorgeous postcard Joanne and I love the thoughtful use of the map...fantastic xx

Lucy Edmondson said...

What a brilliant idea!

Lucy x

Anonymous said...

Well now aren't you clever! I have boxes of old maps, never thought to use them as background, even though I have a collection of car stamps I use often.

I also have Gesso, bumping around on my table for at least a year, and never knew what to do with it. You used it here, but also to paint snowflakes. Hmmmmm, I should use it.

Thanks so much for inspiration.