Friday, 2 October 2026

Link in the chain — September

It’s time for the reveal of the Card Chain Challenge cards that flew around the globe for September. There were 29 players this time and lots of lovely different takes on the options — one of the great things about the reveal post is seeing so many styles and approaches to the same set of prompts all in one place!

For some reason I really struggled this month. My first effort (which took up an entire crafty day) ended up in the bin after I slept on it and decided nope, I still hated it! So, unusually for me I ended up with only the colour palette of peony, scarlet and plum (although I guess my little butterflies might count as tone on tone).

I didn’t have a suitable pink ink so I scribbled a watercolour pencil onto a piece of acetate and smooshed the background with that. The butterfly is heat embossed and coloured with a mix of Zig Clean Colour and water colour pencils. The antennae are hand drawn as there was no way I was going to attempt fussy cutting those!

A little scatter of clear sequins finished things off 

Stamps: Wings (Darkroom Door)

Paper: Watercolour

Ink: 
Versafine by Tsukineko (Onyx Black)
Memories (Soft Rose)

Other:
Stitched rectangle A6 size die (Paper Rose)
Water colour pencils
Zig Clean Colour marker
Clear iridescent sequins
Detail embossing powder (black)
Fineliner 

There are still a few days to sign up for the next chain if you would like to join the fun:

6 comments:

Handmade by Natty said...

Such a pretty card Joanne! xx You've got me tempted to look through my butterfly stash and see what I have... :)

Dotty Jo said...

Well, I don't know what card #1 looked like but card #2 is a stuuner! I never think to break out a butterfly stamp these days but really should do. Thanks for being a link in the CCC chain once again. Big hugs, Jo x

alice k. said...

This is beautiful, and I am the happy recipient. Thank you!

Ellibelle said...

Absolutely beautiful! The butterfly is gorgeous and a wonderful watercolor background!

Julia Aston said...

I have had that happen as well - work all day on something you think is going to work and it ends up YUCK! (although if a friend looked at it they might think it was lovely??!) The card you ended up with is certainly a beauty with that gorgeous butterfly whose wings look so textured with the black embossing powder - and your inky background is wonderful behind it! Julia xx

papierelle said...

Just beautiful and I like that the butterflies can also be seen in the background.