Friday 17 July 2020

Let’s go to Mexico!

It's Svenja's turn to set our challange over at Daring Cardmakers and she’d like us to be inspired by Frida Kahlo and/or Mexico. I guess we won’t be travelling for a while so we can craft our own vacations instead!

There’s a fabulous portrait of Frida Kahlo with hot pink lilies in her hair and looking at it reminded me of one of the very first stamps I bought (I’ve had it since at least 2007). It’s an unbranded grey rubber stamp, I believe the same image turned up later in a Graphic 45 set. I did doctor the eyebrows a little with a fineline marker, just to up the Frida factor!

I’m afraid the foil and metal flakes made this a horror to photograph but you probably get the idea. The sentiment was cut from double sided tape and foiled with a little roll I’ve had for over 25 years! I wish I’d placed it just a bit higher, closer to the image, but you live and learn. The ginkgo leaf was just hanging about on my desk and seemed to fit the sort of opulent feel so got added.

Actually, this turned into an older supplies fiesta, the gold paint splatters are made with pearlescent watercolour paint I bought years ago as a cheapo version of Twinkling H2Os - from The Works if I remember rightly.

Stamps:
Woman with flowers (unbranded)

Paper:
Bristol board 
Black

Ink:
Brilliance by Tsukineko (Graphite Black)

Other:
Copic markers
Ginkgo leaf die (Impression Obsession)
Phrase Set 2 (Spellbinder)
Gold gel pen
Pearlescent watercolour paint
Double sided tape
Gold foil
Mega Flake by Indigo Blu (Chariot of Fire)

Thanks for stopping by, hope you are all safe and well.

8 comments:

HilaryJane said...

This is a great card. You image is lovely , she looks so confident, just how we all ought to be. The fuchsia is so beautifully highlighted by the black and gold. What perfect splatters too xx

Shabneez said...

Absolutely love this! It fits the challenge perfectly! Shabneez x

Dotty Jo said...

Looks great, Joanne! Jo x

Wavejumper said...

Perfect for the challenge!!
I too like the bold pink contrasting the black and gold.

Cool that you used old supplies!

Hugs Margot

Dawn said...

Loving the gold against the dark background and the pops of pink are stunning. x

Dotty Jo said...

Back again! I just wanted to say a big thank you for the CCC card that arrived today - it's a beauty and one to treasure, Jo x

jenny Ginger Ninja Crafts said...

Fabulous card Joanne! I love how you adapted your stamp with some extra eye brow action! Jenny xx

Svenja said...

Awesome, awesome take on the theme! I love this one so much :-) Great work with the eyebrows!