Thursday 2 March 2017

Sombody to love...

I've managed to play along again in The Craft Barn's Song Title Challenge - this month's song is Somebody to Love by Queen.

Queen were one of my favourite bands when I was in my teens, I had all the albums up to The Works and can still remember being so excited to find an original copy of their very first album in a record shop in Morecambe after the (flimsier!) one had been released under the "Fame" branding.

When I saw the challenge, an image popped into my head straight away, inspired by the lyric that says "I just gotta get out of this prison cell". I've decided to make a postcard for each of these challenges and this time I had fun with cocktail sticks, corrugated card, die cuts and dry brushed acrylic paint! 

As the challenge wants us to include the artist as well as the song title, I made a little plaque for the cell door by hammering letter punches into a scrap of mountboard before giving it the acrylic paint treatment.

Dry brushing is probably not the technique for you if you're in a hurry but it's great to watch details emerging if you have time - I used some texturising paste for a corroded effect in places as well as the die cuts and embossed plaque.

Stamps: Jane by Indigo Blu

Paper: 
Black
Corrugated card
Mountboard 

Ink: Brilliance by Tsukineko (Graphite Black)

Other:
Cocktail sticks
Copic markers
Typeset strip die by Tim Holtz/Sizzix
Letter punches
Texturising medium by DecoArt
Pewter and Silver acrylic paints 

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Oh wow Joanne!!! This is incredible my lovely xxx

Mickie said...

This is fantastic. Thank you for joining The Craft Barn Song Title Challenge xx

Kathy said...

Fantastic project! Great choice of song too

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Queen was and still is, one of my favorite bands, love the song that inspired your amazing card, I saw your gorgeous "Vase" card on the Daring Cardmakers challenge and, when I clicked on it, I saw the previous post of this fantastic card.
I love everything about your card, touching and heart braking at the same time.
Hugs,
Maria Rodriguez.
www.swimbikerunandstamp.blogspot.com