Friday 20 January 2017

A stitch in time

It's dare day over at Daring Cardmakers and Nat is asking us to "stitch it!" - use stitching as a prominent feature in your design.

This is absolutely not what I intended to make when I sat down at the craft table and I'm not sure how prominent the stitching really is but it's what happened so I'm going with the flow!

I'm still without my sewing machine which is on loan to a friend so I decided to do something I could hand stitch. Each of the stars has a slightly wonky line of stitching through it and the sequins are stitched on as well (just a knotted thread on the small ones but through the centre and out to the edges on the larger ones).

The stars were punched from a scrap of watercolour paper that had orange and purple re-inkers on it that has been lying around for ages.

I find the best strategy for hand stitching on card is to pierce holes first rather than trying to do it with the needle as you go.

Stamps:
Bubble background by Indigo Blu
Big Day Today by Waltzingmouse stamps (retired)

Ink:
Memento Luxe by Tsukineko (Bahama Blue)
Tim Holtz Distress ink by Ranger (Spiced Marmalade)

Other:
Clean Color markers (Cobalt Blue and Light Blue)
Spica glitter pen (Turquoise)
Star punches
Sequins
Corner Chomper
White and silver threads


5 comments:

Karen said...

This is a stunner Joanne and the stitching finishes it off x

Kathy said...

Fantastic! I adore the bubbly background and the stars are the perfect "topping"! Your stitching is sooooo neat!

Svenja said...

Fab! I love those colours, wouldn't have gone for the combo myself but it works great! And the stitching is cleverly done.

Shabneez said...

Fabulous card Joanne! I love the background you created and I can't believe you handstitched on it as I thought you'd used the sewing machine. Shabneez x

Handmade by Natty said...

Wow, considering you didn't using a sewing machine for the stitching here I am super impressed by how neat and clean you stitched those stars on! Fantastic card and I just love the zingy shades you used! :D