Friday 24 August 2012

Tuneful postcard?

It's nearly the end of the month and that means we're approaching the deadline for the August postcard swap on UKStampers. Sam wanted us to take inspiration from a favourite song this time.

I struggled with this as I don't really have a favourite song. The thing that kept coming back to me while I tried to decide though was Diamonds and Rust by Joan Baez.

I picked up on a few lyrics (brown leaves swirling all around, eyes bluer than robins' eggs and the opening line for the printed text) and the title. Full lyrics are here if anyone is intrigued enough to want them.

I embedded the gems in loads of Glossy Accents and spread some Stickles around as well so I'm hoping they'll make it through the post intact! I was tempted to cheat and just go with the diamond shape of the embossing folder but decided that bottom corner really did need something. I'm still  not really happy with the balance overall but I'm not going to have time for another attempt so decided to live with it - hope the recipient doesn't regret my decision!

Stamps:
Falling Leaves (Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous)
Nest (CHF, retired)


Paper: 
Cryogen white,
Tim Holtz kraft core

Ink:
Tim Holtz Distress ink by  Ranger (Wild Honey, Tea Dye, vintage Photo)
Adirondack by Ranger (Espresso)

Other:
Copic markers
Tim Holtz Texture Fade embossing folder
Gems
Glossy Accents
Frosted Lace Stickles

Tidbit of the day - the ex to whom she's singing the song is Bob Dylan (he also wrote a song about their relationship - Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands if I remember correctly)

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

Karen said...

Your postcards are always fabulous to look at Joanne! Gosh...I haven't listened to Joan Baez for a while & certainly didn't know about Bob Dylan x

Deborah said...

Oh I love that song Joanne! Not particularly a fan of Baez (love Dylan) but the song gives me chills. And I so like your interpretation, especially the really blue robin's eggs). I always thought Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands was about his wife Sara though.

sam21ski said...

Fab postcard Joanne, love the layout and the colours

Not sure I know who Joan Baez is!!

Sam xxx

Anonymous said...

Loved Joan Baez - must be an age thing! Your postcard has captured it all and I'd be very happy to receive it :)
Lynn x

Nancy said...

I run out of superlatives when I see your work Joanne. This one is a feast for the eyes & the soul... so beautiful. The composition and color is amazing. I LOVE the balance... At first I thought all three areas were completely different ~ what you did here is brilliant. I hope the recipient frames it :) .

Paula Whittaker said...

wonderful postcard Joanne...I'm sure the recipient will adore it (and treasure it!)