Saturday 7 April 2012

Household flower!

Papercrafts magazine is celebrating its Pratical Solutions for Papercrafters special issue this week with a whole bunch of challenges on Cath Edvalson's Moxie Fab blog.

I thought I'd play along in the "Household Items" challenge and made this card.

I've used two household items - a facial tissue and kitchen foil.

The foil was simply stuck to some cardstock and embossed with a Spellbinder folder. I scribbled over with a pink Copic marker and then sanded to give a sort of brushed metal look with a hint of pink in the low spots.

The sentiment is heat embossed in silver to go with the foil.

I remember making piles of flowers from coloured tissues when I was a kid to decorate a village carnival float. We must have been pretty sure it wasn't going to rain!

This is a smaller version of those flowers - I started by cutting strips about 2" wide from a tissue and then layered, concertina folded and wired in the middle of the strip. I rounded the petal ends, ran a marker around them and then carefully separated the layers to make a fluffy bloom. The centre is Glossy Accents with some nail art microbeads sprinkled on.

Stamps: Say it Loud (Waltzingmouse Stamps)

Paper: White, Bitter chocolate, Facial tissue

Ink: Versamark

Other:
Detail silver embossing powder
Memento marker (
Angel Pink)
Nail art microbeads
Kitchen foil
Copic marker (
Tender Pink)
Spellbinder M-bossabilities folder (So Trendy)
Corner Chomper

Thanks for stopping by - why not check out the Moxie Fab blog for some great pratical challenges?! (Deadline is 9th April and you'll find all the challenges listed on the right hand side of the blog).

13 comments:

Deborah said...

That is one amazing flower, Joanne. Worthy of prima. Like the elegant card too.

Karen said...

osh, I had completely forgotton about making flowers from tissues :-D I made a load to decorate a simple dress when I was about 8 (last century haha) and went in the carnival :-D This flower looks gorgeous with the tin foil and its certainly not going to get rained on xxx

Effie said...

Fabulous effect with the tin foil...

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Joanne! Thanks for linking this up to the Household Items Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

Net said...

That flower looks great Joanne.

Hazel said...

I'm so sorry that it's been a long while since I last visited. I've just had a lovely time looking at all your creativity and inspiration. Love the altered chipboard domino below this and this card is so classy - fab flower. x

Traceyr said...

This is fantastic Joanne I would never of recognised the tin foil you have given it a superb makeover.

:)

Janice said...

Fab techniques there Joanne. I do like the foil one particularly, looks amazing.

Kathy said...

Great flower! I taught a class of 6 year olds to make tissue carnations one and we used them to decorate the classroom one summer - it looked great - not sure we'd have had the faith to use them outdoors though!

Jackie Elwin said...

lovely card, I remember making those tissue flowers too when I was young. The pink tinge to the edges makes them very pretty.

missmacymay said...

Your card is so classy and clean and simple and stunning and pretty and lots of other superlatives. It really is great, you are a crafty crafter.

Anonymous said...

A very classy card and love that pink edged tissue flower - so pretty :)
The embossed foil makes a great lift to the card.

Unknown said...

LOVE the embossed tin foil!! and the flower is gorgeous!!! Any chance of a tut? :)