Friday 29 October 2010

Watercolour Poppies

This glorious stamp is from the final set sent to me recently by Sandy of Crafty Secrets - aren't these poppies beautiful?

Because the stamp is so detailed (it's big too - this is a 5" square card) I've gone for a simple layout again and just added some textural interest by ruching silk ribbon onto a pin.

I used inks to do the watercolouring - I laid down a complete layer of Spiced Marmalade first and then used Fired Brick over it, aiming to get some of that "glow" you get when the sun shines through poppy petals. The blue is done with just one colour - Adirondack Stonewashed tends to break down to give purplish and turquoisey tones when you add water. I like the tonal variety it gives so I often end up using it for a background wash like this.

Stamps:
Poppy (Clear Art Stamps by Crafty Secrets)

Paper:
140lb hot press watercolour paper
Black

Ink:
Versafine by Tsukineko (Onyx black)
Tim Holtz Distress ink by Ranger (Spiced Marmalade, Fired Brick, Vintage Photo, Walnut Stain, Bundled Sage, Peeled Paint)
Adirondack dye ink by Ranger (Stonewashed)

Other:
Sewing machine and thread
Silk ribbon
Pin


Thanks for stopping by, hope everyone has a lovely weekend!

17 comments:

Marcy said...

Gorgeous watercoloring, Joanne!

Kaz said...

Wow Joanne, that is stunning. It's such a gorgeous stamp and you have worked your magic xxx

itsallrosi said...

beautiful, Joanne!

sam21ski said...

Wow gorgeous, what fab colouring xxxx

Kathy said...

gorgeous image Joanne and I love how you've shown it off on this card

Traceyr said...

Stunning card Joanne and I love that ruched ribbon effect. :)

Joan said...

Beautiful ! and I love that stamp

Netty said...

Gorgeous card with such a fabulous stamp. Annette

Anonymous said...

Yes,I say it every time but your colouring always shines and its the first thing that I notice when I see one of your cards.....just beautiful and you always pay attention to detail.

Karen said...

This is a really special card Joanne! so beautifully painted my lovely. I would never have thought to use the orange under the red like that, thanks for the tip XXX

Mari said...

Absolutely fantastic! I've been trying to color poppies lately, they aren't coming out nearly as gorgeous as yours!

tracy said...

thats beautiful joanne :)

Jan Hennings said...

Joanne,
These poppies look amazing! Can you color or what?? WOW!

Anonymous said...

Those poppies are indeed glorious Joanne, and you've coloured them beautifully! x

Hazel said...

What beautiful poppies and I've just enjoyed catching up on your crafting that I've missed over the past week or so - love seeing your creations x

Janice said...

I love poppies, these look amazing. The inks are great for colouring like that, and as always you do everything to perfection.

hazel said...

Gorgeous card! I love poppies and you've coloured them beautifully.
xxx Hazel.