Thursday 29 May 2008

Welcome Baby!

I love the idea that all new babies have their name and birth recorded somewhere. I know in practice it's the boring old Registry Office but isn't it lovely to think that somewhere there's a cherub who has the job of writing it all down in a big old book? I thought this little guy from the Crafty Secrets Journaling set might be doing just that so I used him to make a card to welcome a new addition to the family.

The card base was scored on the diagonal to make a quilted effect and then I stamped the little sprig from the set to make the pattern in the centre of each quilt square. I used blue thread for my stitching but you could use an ivory or beige thread to make a 'neutral' card if you don't know whether you'll be welcoming a boy or a girl.

The silk ribbon is another of my adventures in natural dyes. Believe it or not, this one was beetroot (red beets for my American visitors). I was expecting red or at least pink but I gold this pretty dark ivory/champagne colour which is perfect with Tim Holtz Antique Linen Distress ink!

Supplies: Journaling set (Clear Art Stamps by Crafty Secrets), my own design sentiment stamps, Versafine (Vintage Sepia), Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Antique Linen), scoring board, Prismacolor pencils/OMS/stump, Spica clear glitter pen, silk ribbon, sewing machine and thread, sponge.

Thanks for visiting today, much appreciated!

16 comments:

Chris A said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Janice said...

This is simply delicious!

made by fifi said...

gorgeous xx

Lesley said...

Beautiful card xxx

Anonymous said...

Another simply wonderful creation from a hugely talented lady. Thank you for the inspiration your pages bring a fellow UK crafter.

Marion

Jo said...

Beautiful, love the quilting with score lines! What a lovely thought, a cherub writing down all the new babies names :o)

Joy said...

It's gorgeous I love the colours and the quilting and especially like the little twigs you've stamped

Kaz said...

That's beautiful Joanne. You've done the quilting effect really well and got it all equal, I am in awe!!

June said...

A wonderful card, I love the quilted effect
June (A novice quilter)

Anonymous said...

Its beautiful - the quilted effect is fab! :)

Vanessa.

Andrea said...

thats just stunning and very different for a new baby card to x

Lisa Silver said...

What a darling card! I love how you created the scored background. And your silk ribbon outcome is lovely! I wouldn't have thought a champagne color was possible. I love natural dies and studied that as an undergrad... I'll have to incorporate that in my stamping!

Hugs,
lise

CraftyC said...

What a gorgeous card, I love the vintage feel to it!
Clairexx

anna said...

lovely card jo!

Keri Lee Sereika said...

Another great one Joanne! The quilted BG is FABU!!

Kim Costello said...

A wonderful idea with the cherub, and the card is stunning!