Friday 23 May 2008

It all began

For this week's Splitcoast member company forum challenge for Crafty Secrets (here), Lori asked us to think back to how we got started with the vintage stamping style.

I consider myself to be an 'eclectic' stamper rather than a vintage one so I had to think hard about this. I decided to concentrate on what attracts me to vintage style:

  • Colour: there's something very attractive about the tones of vintage colours. They can be both muted and rich at the same time.
  • Detail: whether it's the embellished bits or detailed cutting, the craftsmanlike quality appeals to me.
  • Creative use of what's to hand: I guess I get this from both my parents. I've always looked at stuff and said "What can I make with that?" or "How can I make this into what I'd like it to be?"

I chose this gorgeous rich design from the Radiant Paper Pad and cut an aperture using a Nestability die as a guide but cutting with a scalpel so I could cut round the flower shapes and leave them hanging over the sentiment. I stamped the sentiment from Sweet Kids on white cardstock and sponged over, leaving the centre almost white to create a 'glow'.

The ribbon is some of the silk I hand-dyed a little while ago. This one was dyed with saffron and then overdyed with tea and came out a lovely bronze shade. A bit of inking to warm up the edges and a quick whizz round with a row of machine stitching and we're done.

Supplies: Radiant Paper Pad (Crafty Secrets), Sweet Kids (Clear Art Stamps by Crafty Secrets), Tim Holtz Distress ink (Antique Linen, Frayed Burlap, Peeled Paint), vintage lace trim, silk ribbon, sewing machine and thread, Nestability die and scalpel

If you're interested in the ribbon and didn't see the last one, the card with blackberry dyed ribbon is here.

Thanks for dropping by!

18 comments:

Kathy said...

This is absolutely stunning Joanne

I love those muted reds and pinks and how they tone in so well with the browny shades

Anne said...

Simply STUNNING with all your attention to detail... from the cutting and overlaping of your floral paper down to the exquisite lace and ribbon! LOVE it!

{HUGS} :)

Sue said...

I like the way everything has come together on this card and love the way you have cut around the flowers.
Sue x

tracy said...

joanne,thats simply stunning,well done:)

Karen said...

What can I say...its really beautiful Joanne X

Janice said...

Excellent vintage style, sit back and admire it with your glass of vintage armagnac!

Keri Lee Sereika said...

Ok now that is amazing...Love the ribbons..you are cool!

Anonymous said...

WOW, its beautiful Joanne! :)

Vanessa.

Shazza said...

a beautiful card Joanne, love the colours and that ribbon is fab
Sharon
x

Anonymous said...

Joanne I do love your hand dyed ribbons. Such original and gorgeous colours.


Well done.


:)

shaz earl said...

An absolutley beautiful card Joanne xx

rose said...

simply beautiful and so classy,Iam loving this pad,but cannot bring myself to cut into just yet lol!!

made by fifi said...

beautiful - really love it xx

anna said...

its lovely!

CraftyC said...

It looks fabulous, now thats vintage!!
Clairexx

Penny said...

Sorry to post here but I can't seem to see your email address: IO ship ANYWHERE in the world. Could you please email me with the info of where you saw that you can't order and I will look into it please? I was a customer and odered stamps from them before I was on the DT!

penelopepitstopcards@googlemail.com

Thanks! Penny x

Unknown said...

wow, what a fantastic idea, the latest card is beautiful - well done.

- dlm. said...

Your card is fabulous! I love the rich colours and the way that you cut the circle leaving the flowers to overlap the stamped centre. Your choice of ribbons also lend to the soft, vintage "feel" of your card. TFS!