Friday 4 April 2008

A little sunshine?

Not a chance here today, it's grim and drizzly. It's DCM day though and Kathy's asked us to make a card with no more than 5cm square decorated. We're allowed a greeting/sentiment in addition. I had a little paperclay starfish out on my desk left over from another project so I decided to inject a little sunshine into my card for this dare to make up for the weather.



I made my square just a shade smaller than 5cm so things could break out of the edges if necessary! Sponged with three shades of blue ink, added some jute garden twine as 'rope' and then added the starfish. I hope Kathy will forgive the little bit of piercing to accent the sentiment!

ETA: I made push moulds a while ago with polymer clay and things from a bag of decorative shells etc I picked up for a pound in a charity shop. If you dust the mould with talcum powder and let the paperclay shapes dry thoroughly before trying to release them from the mould, it works perfectly! I just coloured the starfish with blending chalk.

Supplies: Adirondack inks - Cloudy Blue, Stonewashed, Denim; Delight paperclay; push mould made from a real starfish; jute twine; Sunny days stamp (Cornish Heritage Farms), Plaid chalks (autumn)

Thanks for taking a peep - I'd love to know what you thought if you have a moment to leave me a comment :o)

30 comments:

Crafting Queen said...

Cool card, very effective.

Anice said...

It certainly does brighten up the grey weather we have here today (I'm in Newcastle) I love the sponged effect on your background.
Infact I love it all!
Anice xx

Nick said...

Lovely card Joanne-wasn't it you got Kathy thinking about the theme in the first place?

I love the piercing by the sentiment too

Kathy said...

Oooooh this is lovely - and the 2nd paperclay card I've seen for this dare - must dig mine out again.....

Yep, Joanne was one of the people whose cards started me thinking about this dare!

tracy said...

i love that joanne :)

Karen said...

Gosh is it the starfish made form paperclay? Lovely card...all seasidey X

Lisa Silver said...

Love this card! I'm ready for sunny days and warm weather too! I particularly love the twine embellishment. It really reminds me of the shore!

Thanks for sharing,
lise

Jo said...

Very effective!! :o)

Juliet said...

I think it's really lovely!

Pat - Arkansas said...

Fresh! Clean! Delightful! TFS

Cecilia said...

This card is very nice. My card is in my blog,
www.tiina38.vuodatus.net

Anonymous said...

Fabulous card!! Ooh, its getting me all excited about the warmer weather coming. :) Well, as warm as it can get up here in the north! LOL

Vanessa.

Rosanne said...

I love this card!

Sheila said...

WOW.....the starfish is fabulous. Love your card.

Andrea C (Frog) said...

Very nice Joanne, makes me think of summer at the beach.

Andrea x

Gail Is This Mutton? said...

Really fab, I love anything with a beach or nautical feel!

Penny said...

Now this I LOVE!!! Your starfish is so sweet :)

Kaz said...

I love the sunshiny feel this card has!

- dlm. said...

Very nicely done, Joanne! I love the starfish with the blues. The bit of twine really adds the perfect touch to the beach theme. TFS!

Jackie said...

I love it Joanne. It makes me think of long days on Cornish beaches :)

tracie said...

great card, I love the starfish :-)x

Hazel said...

This is perfect for the dare - love the dimension given by the 'rope' and the starfish

Jo said...

Beautiful card!

Unknown said...

Just going to say WOW!!!

x

Rachel said...

oooh you are right about a bit of sunshine - needed it today with the snow!!! Love the card and a great little starfish - I would be hardpushed to say it wasn't real!!!

Rachel

manuela said...

fabulous card!

Andrea said...

love it x

Kat said...

WOW, simple but extremely effective - love it
x

debby4000 said...

This is so clever, love it and you didn't have to cheat like I did.

ella bella said...

lovely card, love the starfish