Friday 16 March 2018

Watch the birdie

Shabneez has set the challenge for us today over at Daring Cardmakers - she'd like to see some birds on our projects. It could be the focal point or an embellishment, a stamp or a die cut, anything birdie goes!


I love the woodcut style of this stamped image. I did have plans to use some of the other elements from the set (flowers and foliage) but in the end he just refused to share the limelight and insisted on flying solo!

I dripped inks in colours I hoped would evoke spring and stamped the bird once the ink was dry. I really wanted the etched lines of the image to show well (the intensity of the inks obscured them a bit) but I didn't fancy cutting out his legs! My usual solution is to stamp again on matching paper, cut out the main part of the image and stick over the top of the original stamping.

After adding some dots with a pearl pen I decided I'd like the ones on the blue ink to blend in a bit so once they’d hardened I painted over with Precious Metal paint. I’ve had my little pot of the stuff at least eight years and it’s probably a good six of those since it was last open but it’s still totally usable - hooray!

Stamps:
Spring Bird by Bloom Art Stamps
Sentiment from an old Hot Off The Press set

Paper:
Watercolour

Ink:
Versafine by Tsukineko (Onyx Black)
Time Holtz Distress ink by Ranger (Mowed Lawn and Salty Ocean reinkers)

Other:
Misti (invaluable for a solid image on textured paper!)
Pearl pen by Viva Decor (Ice White)
Precious Metal paint by Viva Decor (Blue Azure)
Fineline marker

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

CherylQuilts said...

Yes, Joanne, I love the wood-etched bird, and your beautiful watercolored background shows it well. He's a beauty, and I love your doodled frame! Stunning card! Hugs!

Svenja said...

Love those colours! And the metal-painted pearls really blend in nicely.