Friday 23 March 2018

Back to basics

It’s my turn to set the challenge at Daring Cardmakers and I’d like to see cards that go “back to basics” - choose one geometric shape and one primary colour as the focus of your design. You can add other shapes and colours as accents, just use those two basics as the main features.

I choose the circle as my shape and red as my colour. I die cut and punched various sizes of circle from red card and sponged a bit of darker red ink on one side of each then arranged them over a simple stamped background strip. A sprinkle of glittery silver stars and a sentiment finish off a card for one of those pesky “in between” boys (not quite a teenager but no longer a little boy). He's a fan of Man Utd so the colour choice was made for me!

Stamps:
Numbers border by Kaisercraft
Essential Messages by Hero Arts

Paper:
Bristol board
Red
Silver glitter paper (10 sheets in a pack in my local £1 shop and perfect for punches!)

Ink:
Shadow ink by Hero Arts (Soft Granite)
Brilliance by Tsukinko (Graphite Black)
Tim Holtz Distress ink by Ranger (Fired Brick)

Other:
Circle Nestabilities by Spellbinder
Small circle punch
Star squeeze punches by Fiskars
Corner Chomper

Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

Shabneez said...

Love it! Nothing more to say - perfection. Great challenge Joanne. Shabneez x

Debbie said...

Wow wonderful card - stunning idea and colour red - very inspiring once more

Darlene said...

Well HELLO my friend ... it's been SO LONG since my last visit! Apologies! I just spotted this challenge and was intrigued and decided to play along. I will have a card up on Monday to share. This card was so striking and I didn't realize it was you until I came to your blog! This is AWESOME. Love the design and the red really POPS! Fabulous inspiration ... thanks!
Hope you are well and now I'm going to take a little trip through your blog to see what else catches my eye! Take Care and stop by sometime ... would love to have you visit my blog again!
Hugs from OHIO

Craftyhugs said...

Hi hun.. I so love your card and I just love colour red. Beautiful colours and gorgeous card. Thank you so much for your kind words on my blog about my nan. Touches my heart that others care enough to leave thoughtful messages so thank you! Xx

Svenja said...

Fun challenge and some great inspiration - the red and silver works great! Not an easy challenge for me, though, but all the better as an exercise :-)

Jean Franks Beck said...

Love the way you snuck some glitter onto your masculine card, Joanne - I'm going to do that for my teen son now, for sure! ;)

CherylQuilts said...

Joanne, what a wonderful challenge, and I love how you've used the circles and red. Beautiful sponging with a sprinkle of stars. I love these "sprinkled" over the stenciled alphabet. I figured out that Manchester UTD colors are red and white! So clever, and this "in between" boy will love this card! Hugs!