Thursday 5 March 2015

Birthdays are for the bees!

I'm just managing to squeeze in a card for this week's DCM - Nat has asked us to use yellow as our key colour in her Mellow Yellow challenge. I've used my PanPastels and a stencil so I'm linking up there, too: Stencil It.

I've just bought some Mylar sheets for making stencils - it's sturdier than acetate which is what I've mostly used for quick DIY stencils so far. It cuts easily with wafer thin dies though which is what I've done here, cutting repeatedly with a hexagon die to make a honeycomb design.

I used yellow PanPastel through the stencil, then added a wee bit of Burnt Sienna at the bottom of each cell and a little white at the tops. I highlighted further with a Posca paint pen and doodled sketchy outlines round the bottom of the cells with a brown fineliner.

I added just a hint of yellow to the unstencilled part of the card after stamping and colouring the bees (I used pencils to make sure there was no bleed through and this could be a genuine one layer card and there's a bit of Wink of  Stella shimmer on their wings). I just rubbed the same yellow as the honeycomb over the card and then used a good-quality white eraser to rub it off - it sort of "stains" the card and leaves just a tiny bit of colour.

Stamps:
Queen Bee by Crafty Secrets (retired)
Sentiment from Big Day Today by Waltzingmouse Stamps

Ink: Brilliance Pearlescent Chocolate by Tsukineko

Other:
Mylar sheet
Hero Arts die from Geometric Shapes set
PanPastels - Diarylide Yellow, Burnt Sienna, White
Spectrafix Degas spray fixative
Wink of Stella Clear glitter pen
Posca white paint pen
Coloured pencils
Sepia fineliner
Corner Chomper

Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

Artyjen said...

Gorgeous! Love the depth you have achieved ;)
xoxo Sioux

Kath said...

Lovely. A warm feeling card. Clever to make the mask as well.

Dawn said...

Gorgeous. Love the design of your card. Thanks for joining in at Daring Cardmakers.

jill said...

A beautiful card & the effect from using the stencil is really good.

Svenja said...

Lovely card! Very clever to make your own stencil. And I love the slight ombre effect on the honeycomb pattern.

Kaz said...

I love this, it's beautiful xxx

Claire said...

Beautiful sunny card, gorgeous background and how clever to make your own stencil too. Thanks so much for joining us at PanPastel UK
Claire xx