Friday 19 July 2013

Net of wonder

We're doing one of our occasional postcard swaps on Bubbly Funk. Our theme this time was "summer" and I made a card for Kathy. I've gone totally flat with a single layer on this one. Kathy's originally from one of the towns on the beautiful Northumberland coastline and I know she has a soft spot for the sea so that's the way my mind went - something cooling and soothing on a hot summer day.

My "net of wonder" actually held onions just before I set off to the craft room - lol! I quite liked the idea of having the shells quite regimented and the pattern that you might expect to be more rigid (the grid of the net) being more fluid so I let it "drape" a bit before taping the edges down and sponging over it. Yes, I did cut masks for all the shells so that I could sponge ink without affecting them and yes, I have kept the masks in case I want to do something similar in future! It's actually a very easy shape to cut so it didn't take too long.

I've given the shells a touch of subtle colour with some pale Copics and even more subtle touch of glimmer with a Spica glitter pen.

Stamps:
Antique Engravings by Hero Arts
Sentiment from Seaside set by Crafty Secrets (retired)

Paper: smooth white

Ink: 
Graphite Black Brilliance by Tsukineko
Tumbled Glass Distress ink by Ranger

Other:
Copic markers
Clear Copic Spica glitter pen
Corner Chomper

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

Kath said...

A lovely cool postcard on this hot sunny day. I would love to be beside the sea this morning.The draped net and the saying are exactly right.

Paula Whittaker said...

What a super PC...lucky Kathy is all I can say!

Carol said...

Wonderful card, thanks for sharing. Just 'cause I know you'll use this great multi-mask method again, may I suggest stamping all the shells you want, then photcopy the card, and use the photocopy for the mask before you do the net? Just my $0.02. Thanks again!

Hazel said...

I love this Joanne - very cool x

Deborah said...

Wow, that's a stunning card, Joanne. The shells really look 3d - and the onion netting worked a treat!

Anonymous said...

A beautiful postcard, certainly works for me :)
Lynn x