Sunday 28 October 2007

In the Spotlight

My turn to set the challenge at CBC and for once I'm remembering to blog it too! The challenge is to use a spotlight technique to make a feature of one area of your design. I have two samples, one for the stampers, one not!

I was inspired by the lovely iris card on Lisa Silver's blog (thanks Lise!) to have a go at the spotlight technique with a new stamp I just got:



The stamp came from an eBay seller called zim-babe who tells me that it was made by an American lady called Susan Cotes who makes her stamps in her 'spare time', wow!

Supplies: unmounted cherry blossom stamp, sentiment stamp from HOTP set, Ranger archival jet black ink, Clearsnap creamy brown, dark brown and chestnut roan chalk inks, Prismacolor pencils and Sansodor, mini brads (Dovecraft muted colours), Fiskars circle cutter.

Then I thought it would be fun to try adapting the technique for non-stampers by using colour in a different way on a card based around die-cuts. I did two QK santas in white, just adding a tint of colour to their faces so they didn't look too much like the ghost of St Nicholas! The third santa got the full color treatment and a frame to really throw him into the spotlight. I couldn't resist just a bit of stamping though so the central band is stamped and coloured with a brush marker.



Supplies: QK santa die, Large Paisley Backgrounder (Cornish Heritage Farms), sentiment stamp from MSE set, Fiskars circle cutter, Whispers cherry red ink, red brush marker, Clearsnp chalk ink in ice blue and chestnut roan, Prismacolor pencils.

Thanks for stopping by to take a peek!

17 comments:

Kathy said...

Great cards Joanne, what a lovely idea.
I've nominated you for a smile award - you can find out why on my blog

Janice said...

Fab technique, love the stampy one.

Janice

Lisa Silver said...

Wow, Joanne! You did a FANTASTIC job! I love your soft colors with the blossoms.

Thanks for sharing,
Lise

Hazel said...

Love the spotlight idea - great cards, Joanne - particularly like the first one.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Beautiful cards Joanne and fab that you adapted the technique for non-stampers... very clever :D

Andrea, said...

fabulous cards, the spotlight one is beautiful and a great stamp

Courtney said...

Genious! Beautifully done!

Jackie said...

Fab cards Joanne. I love the way you've covered stamping and non stamping.

Thanks for visiting and leaving lovely comments on my blog.

Natty said...

Lovely cards, I especially love the first one! :o) Excellent effect!

Unknown said...

Love both the cards for different reasons Joanne.

The Cherry Blossom is so effective and the Santa is so cute.

Great!

Keri Lee Sereika said...

WOW! that spotlight card is FAB!!!

Rhi said...

This is a really cool technique, love what you've done with it!

Tracey said...

Lovely cards!

My Paper World said...

Great cards, I love that you did a version for non stampers too!

Hazel said...

I've just tagged you - details on my blog

Esther said...

love that spotlighting technique- so very effective, great work!

Rebecca said...

i love this santa one :) Would never have thought of the spotlight idea!