Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Easy watercolouring!

I needed to make a birthday card for my mum and having recently been on holiday (leading to the inevitable creative slump arising from being separated from your crafting supplies!) I needed something that wasn't too challenging!

I've had this stamp set for ages and not got round to using it. I thought a bit of watercolour painting with it might be just the thing.

I kept it simple with just a single panel of watercolur paper, stitched to the card base for a touch of textural interest once it was painted.

The jug, flowers, leaves and grounding are all Distress ink and I used a couple of watercolour pencils for the blue background wash. This is a really easy way to do a watercolour - just stamp with Distress ink and spread the colour with a damp brush.

I added some clear Wink of Stella to the tops of the blooms and a few extra highlights with a white paint pen.

Stamps:
Sweet Havana by Mama Elephant
Sentiment from Big Day Today by Waltzingmouse Stamps (no longer in business but watch the Gina K site in case it's a set that comes back via that route at some point!)

Paper: Ranger Watercolor

Ink:
Tim Holtz Distress ink by Ranger (Antqiue Linen, Vintage Photo, Pumice Stone, Seedless Perserves, Shabby Shutters, Peeled Paint)
Brilliance by Tsukineko (Pearlescent Chocolate)

Other:
Derwent watercolour pencils
Clear Wink of Stella pen
Posca white paint pen
Sewing machine and thread 

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

Kath said...

A lovely card, Joanne. I am sure your Mum was/will be well pleased with this.

Kathy said...

Oh, this is very very pretty Joanne. Love the watercolouring, it looks lovely

Debbie L said...

very pretty and very effective

debbie

Arty Beginnings said...

Wow, love this, its really beautiful. Rachel

CherylQuilts said...

Joanne, this is gorgeous, and I love this image and the brilliant way you've brought it to life. I wouldn't say your watercoloring skills are limited in any way. And I really love the stitching! Beautifully done, and I know your mum will love it! Hugs!