Thursday 3 February 2011

One layer Santa

I've combined two challenges for today's project - this week's One Layer Wednesday is a recipe and I'm dipping in to Craftyhazelnut's Christmas challenge for the first time - week 5 is to include Santa on your card. The idea of the challenge is to spread out your card making over the whole year, hence the Christmas card in February!

One Layer Wednesday calls for a border stamp (or stamped border), an image and some bling. I wanted to team this Santa up with some gingham so I used a background stamp for the border as that's what I had - I just used a piece of paper to mask off the top of the card while I stamped it. I'd already stamped and masked Santa. I struggle with bling so as Susan said glitter would count I opted to glitter the furry bits of Santa's hat with chunky glass gitter.

I'm glad I opted for a brighter green than is usual for a Christmas card - I think it gives this a fun retro feel that goes well with the style of the Santa stamp.

Stamps:
Holly Jolly Christmas and sentiment from Season's Greetings (both Technique Tuesday)
Fine Gingham backgrounder (CHF - retired)

Paper:
Smooth white

Ink:
Versacraft by Tsukineko (Spring Green)
Brilliance by Tsukineko (Graphite Black)

Other:
Copic markers
Copic multiliner
Deko Ice glitter by Efco (Crystal)


Thanks for stopping by, have a lovely weekend!

17 comments:

Tineke said...

Just in time for Christmis 2011!
Greetings from Holland,
Tineke

Hazel said...

This is a fab card, Joanne - what a jolly Santa and I love that gingham background. Thank you for joining in my CHNC challenge 5 - hope to see you again soon. x

tracy said...

sweet card:) loving the green too :)

Kaz said...

Great card Joanne with fab masking too xxx

Carol Plume said...

what a great card Joanne, definately a retro feel to it - love the masking xx

joanne wardle said...

love the gingham, I thought it was paper!! really beautiful card for OLW. I love to see what everyone else did with the challenge after I've done mine, it's amazing the variety

Janice said...

Nice job on the challenge combo!

itsallrosi said...

good for you, starting so early on christmas!

Susan said...

Joanne, I LOVE this!!! That Santa is so cute..but I really love the gingham border...adorable Christmas card...and aren't you good to get started so early!

Deborah Frings said...

This is fantastic! It's bright and jolly! Love the Santa stamp!

sam21ski said...

Such a simple idea, but looks fantastic xxxx

Kathyk said...

Smashing - very jolly and another Christmas card done too!

Kathyk

Anonymous said...

Brilliant masking & I love the green gingham BG! x

Kathy said...

This is fab - you've really got this masking technique nailed - it's hard to believe there's only one layer there

Traceyr said...

Clever you Joanne that card fits the bill.

:)

hazel said...

I too thought it was gingham paper. Great card.
xxx Hazel.

Mim said...

I was thinking the green plaid was very retro. Love it!