Wednesday 29 September 2010

Christmas ornament

OK, so the one layer, clean and simple card making was probably too good to last - lol! I've come over a bit vintage and pretty and not card-based by way of an antidote.

ETA: I put up a step by step for making this ornament in this post

In the Crafty Secrets member forum on Splitcoast Stampers this week, Marcy's challenge is "Just hanging around" - make something to hang or that has a hanging element. I had an immediate image in my head of a shaker ornament using this stamp and for once I not only manged to find time to do it but it came out looking something like I imagined!

I cut three extra rings and stacked them up to give the ornament some depth and added glass glitter and microbeads behind an acetate layer to give her some sparkly snow to sledge through! Doing it this way gives a neater edge than messing about with foam pads, I think and you don't have any issues with possible gaps for stuff to leak through. I use a piece of magnetic paper to keep my Nesties in place so the rings are all the same.

The back circle was embossed and rubbed with the same Rub n Buff I used on the frame so that it still looks pretty if the ornament twizzles round as it hangs.

Stamps:
Sweet Kids (Clear Art Stamps by Crafty Secrets)

Paper:
Smooth white
Black

Ink:
Adirondack dye ink by Ranger (Espresso)

Other:
Copic markers
Nestabilities by Spellbinder (Large circles)
Deko ice glitter by Efco (Crystal)
White microbeads (these are steel one sold for nail art)
Rub n Buff by Amaco (Gold Leaf)
Cuttlebug embossing folder (Textile Texture)
Silk ribbon


Thanks for stopping by!

Note for Amaco - I didn't ignore your last comment on my blog but you left no contact details and an e-mail to your customer services address got no response so presumably didn't get passed on. If you read this, please leave a contact e-mail address!

8 comments:

Jessie Lubyk said...

That is so awesome. Thanks so much for sharing :)

Sid said...

Fab project brought to life !! Love it !!

Kaz said...

That's great Joanne and sounds better than the foam pad way! xx

Janice said...

Oh this is really beautiful. The stamped images really stand out and you have dressed your photograph so well. I can almost smell the mince pies ;)

Heavenly Anarchist said...

Lovely! What a great idea.

tracy said...

thats beautiful joanne :)
great tip for getting rid of foam tape :)

Pat Beaumont said...

great idea for xmas

Karen said...

This is sooo beautiful Joanne! Won't be long before I can unpack those other beauties you made :D XXX