The Angel of the North is an Antony Gormley sculpture and the photo in my banner is from Freefoto.com. Other elements are stamps (CHF Beautiful & Cracked Montana Earth) and computer generated text.
Sorry to all legit commenters who have chosen not to register with Google etc but I've had to turn off anonymous commenting. This is due to the incredible levels of spam and the fact that Blogger's auto filtering is getting worse so some spam comments are being published. Please use the "Contact me" option if you have a question for me or something you'd really like to say. Thank you for your continued visits.
Kids' birthday cards are always a challenge for me for some reason but when Claire at Waltzingmouse stamps brought out this stamp and die combo I thought it would be perfect for the plethora of boys I seem to have to make for!
I usually resist dies that match a particular stamp (I'm happy with a pair of scissors!) but this word just looked like too much fun to pass up and I caved in - it would be difficult to cut by hand, I think.
This kind of card also represents one of those rare occasions where the font Comic Sans is actually appropriate! I printed off the sentiment, cut it into individual words and outlined the boxes for that comic book feel.
The die cut is raised on some gel glue to give the whole thing a bit of dimension. I coloured with Copics and then gave it the Wink of Stella clear pen treatment for a bit of razzle dazzle without being too girly. That's a bit difficult to capture on camera but the detail shot might give an impression of it if you click through to make it bigger.
Stamps: Kaboom by Waltzingmouse Stamps
Ink: Brilliance Graphite Black by Tsukeniko Distress Mustard Seed and Spiced Marmalade by Ranger
Other: Kaboom die by Waltzingmouse Stamps Copic markers Printed sentiment Corner Chomper Black fineline marker White Posca paint pen Clear Wink of Stella pen Pinflair Glue Gel Corner Chomper
OK, maybe that's not quite the saying but Sam asked us to go with the theme of "eggs" for the postcard swap on UKStampers this month.
I decided to have a little play with eggshell mosaic. I've tried bending it etc and it's quite stable so I'm quietly optimistic that it will survive the post. I used lots of ModPodge to stick the shells on and it's been coated over with both Mod Podge and then a satin varnish as well as I wanted a bit more egg-shellish sheen.
I also cut egg shapes from the mosaic piece but that may be harder to spot as I ended up chopping them to make "hills" instead.
Some sponging over torn paper for a background, stamped feathers and sentiment, black enamel accents and doodling with black and white pens finish it off.
Stamps: Bird Notes by Craft Secrets (retired) Big Inspiration by CHF (retired) Ink: Adirondack by Ranger - Pool and Stream Archival by Ranger - Manganese Blue Other: Egg shells (cleaned and membrane pulled out) Copic ink refills (any alcohol ink will do) Copic multiliner Posca paint pen Enamel Accents by Ranger Mod Podge Matt Satin Varnish by PaperArtsy
The current theme at PaperArtsy is "altered Grunge Paste" - Leandra's hoping we'll try out something other than simply using paste through a stencil.
I was super-lucky and Random pulled my name out of the virtual hat on the last challenge so I had a lovely time wandering through PaperArtsy's online shop, choosing my prize goodies. A big thank you to Leandra and to Darcy for organising it.
Grunge Paste sounded intriguing - a bit different to most texture pastes - and so I popped a tub in my prize basket. Hearing Leandra describe it as "almost clay-like" had me wondering whether a DIY substitute for StampBord might be doable with Grunge Paste taking the role of that clay layer on the board.
I cut an inchie-plus (1.5" square) from scrap mountboard and "buttered" it with a layer of Grunge Paste. Once it was thoroughly dry, I used a sanding block to give me a silky-smooth surface. As you really want colour that doesn't soak in, I sponged Stazon over the top and then stamped the daisy heads (also part of my prize package so another thank you!) using Brilliance. Then the moment of truth - adding those scraped back white highlights with a pin.
I think it looks very much like Stampbord but, if you want to mail it, has the advantage of being lighter and thinner and of course you could do any shape you wanted as long as you could cut it from a substrate with enough rigidity to stand up to the Grunge Paste layer.
The finished square got a super-simple mounting on a scrapling with just a bit of doodling to frame it.
Stamps: Hot Pick 1203 by PaperArtsy Sentiment from an ancient HOTP set (one of my first ever stamping purchases!) Paper: Off-white laid texture cardstock Scrap mountboard
Ink: Teal Stazon Graphite Black Brilliance
Other: Grunge Paste by Paper Artsy Cuttlebug square die Corner Chomper Copic 0.3 Multiliner